The Nelson Church
All Saints Burnham Thorpe
The original church dates back to the 13th century but is was renovated in the 1840s and completely restored in time for the centenary of Trafalgar in 1905. Before restoration started a new hall was built and licensed for worship. When in 1901 services recommenced at the church, The Nelson Memorial Hall was leased back to the villagers as a parish room.
Burnham Thorpe is the birth place of England most famous sailor, Admiral Lord Nelson. Nelson’s father, Edmund, was the Rector from 1755 to 1803 and lived with his family at the old parsonage (pulled down in 1803). This is where Horatio Nelson was born and where he spent his childhood.
Returning to the village only occasionally during leave ashore in England, he nonetheless lived here 1788-93 while being held in reserve on half-pay. He returned to sea when given command of HMS Agamemnon, which was recommissioned the day before the outbreak of the Napoleonic Wars.
The graves of Nelson’s mother and father are situated on the north side of the church chancel; a brother and sister are buried in the churchyard.
All Saints Church is situated across the green from the village pub, the original Lord Nelson inn (which has recently been renovated).
Music in Thorpe is privileged to have the support of the Priest in charge, The Rev’d Steve Wood and the PCC.
All Saints Church photography © 2021 The Borough Council of King’s Lynn & West Norfolk